Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Old Grizz's Farm


We happened to be in Prosser this year during the annual Grizz's farm. It was back in April, but I mentioned in a post a week or so back and thought I should put up a couple of the pictures. It was actually alot of fun for us all to go. Every year the high school agriculture students bring their animals or farm-type pets to the school for a day and they set up a little petting zoo in the ag parking lot. All the kindergarteners and 1st graders get bussed down from the elementary school to come see all the little animals. Baby animals are always popular to bring, because they are favorites with the kids. The turnout varies year to year, of course, as the students change, but it is always lots of fun. The incentive, of course, is if you bring an animal you get to spend most of the day staying with your animal and showing them to youngsters instead of going to class. Plus, most of the kids who do it now remember going themselves when they were little. I know I remember going. I talked to Mr. Adams, who founded the thing (Mr. Adams=Grizzly Adams=Grizz's Farm) and he said their first one was in 1983! Wow. This year there was a really good assortment, pigs and goats and lambs and a miniature pony and a large horse and a couple cows and a calf, some bunnies, a duck, reptiles, a tarantula (!), some baby turtles, a pheasant, a turkey, baby chicks, hens and roosters of various varieties, and I'm sure I'm missing something. As we were getting ready to leave we sat on the hay bales by the baby goats for a minute and one of the little baby goats jumped up and squiggled and squirmed and squeezed its way through the bars on the stock panels and right into my lap! So all of a sudden I'm sitting there with my arms full of cuddly black goat. I called Mr. Adams over and we put her back in the pen, just to watch her do it all over again. We ended up having to put her in the pen next door that had smaller panels, poor baby just wanted to be held, but it just wouldn't do to have her running all over the parking lot and into the street. Victor's favorite was the pigs, he still plays Mr. Piggy regularly. I couldn't get Becca to even consider touching the turtle, and Victor would very quickly. He liked the funny claws on their toes. Colin just got carried around and looked at everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment