Thursday, June 19, 2008

Ant Farm....

Ugh. Went into the living room mid-morning on Tuesday and there was a nice line of ants crawling along the edge of the entertainment center. I had seen one or two for the couple days previous in random places around the house and had been making a concerted effort to keep the house vacuumed and swept, but alas, it was too late. So I got out my vacuumed and vacuumed up all the ants for the next couple hours-annoying the babies completely. They abondoned their post by about 1, but were back the next morning, and the scene was repeated. Luckily, they don't seem to go beyond the entertainment center and haven't even tried my kitchen or the dining room, but I've been keeping everything spotless, so I don't know why they are here at all, there isn't anything for them to eat. But I now have a vacuum full of ants that I need to figure out how to get rid of without getting bit.

Yep, that is the clincher, these aren't those harmless black ants everyone has in their house in summer. These are biters. Well, technically they only bite you to grab onto you while they sting you, like a bee, over and over again, injecting this poison into you which causes this burning feeling-thus why they are called fire ants. Pleasant huh? I called the office to get some help on how to get rid of them, especially since usually they are outside pests and the best treatments are to try to kill the whole nest. And the exterminator will be here on Monday. Not too bad. So I just have to keep Colin and the rest away from the entertainment center until them, not easy, because Colin REALLY like buttons. Ugh, Ugh, and double Ugh.

1 comment:

  1. we have an ant problem too, although ours are the harmless black ants. They're so hard to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete