I still haven't seen many ants or bugs since our friend came and sprayed for us. I am so grateful. I'll see one or two on occasion, not many, but I sweep dead ones up off the bathroom floor whenever I sweep, so I know the spray is still working.
My cake class went okay. I was happy with how many people were there, not too many adults, but then the Activity Days girls all came in because they were supposed to tie quilts and their leader had forgotten the yarn, so all of a sudden I had an extra 9 young (mostly 8 and 9 year old) girls. Ugh. It was miserable. I don't think I am going to be doing anything like that again any time soon.
I'm still struggling a little with teaching Becca's class. I know that they class needs me, those poor little kids haven't had a constant teacher for a long time and there are a couple of the children who really need some extra help. Our ward is sort of partnered with another deaf ward. We have our sacrament first, but then we both meet for our Primary and Sunday School and such at the same time, then they have their sacrament meeting. It is an interesting idea, but makes sense, so that the hearing children of deaf families have an opportunity to go to our Primary and have a little more exposure to speech. I have 2 boys in my class that belong to the deaf branch, and while I know they understand me, they are very quiet and need to be drawn into conversation. I'm very proud of one of the little boys who seems to have come a long way even in the past month toward talking more in class and sharing time. But I suppose I am a little selfish and I miss having time to meet with other adults. I really don't see anyone all week except the babies and Jon. Especially now that Colin is in nursery I miss that I could be in Sunday School or Relief Society WITHOUT CHILDREN! You know it has been 4 and a half years since I was able to go to meetings without a baby to take care of? Not since Becca was born. Victor was born the week she went into nursery and Colin the week Victor went in. I have a couple months this time, and it is hard not to wish I could get to take advantage of them and get to know some of the sisters in the ward. So like I said, I feel a little bad sometimes and get awfully lonely alot, but I know that those little kids need me, or at least someone to take care of them, and I guess the Primary has had trouble finding good teachers. So I'm it. Aw well, there are worse things, and I'd rather them have a teacher. I can do without. Maybe it'll be better once we get visiting and home teachers.
What else has been happening. I finally got my texas license so I can legally drive again. I think you're supposed to change it within 30 days of the move, so I haven't driven since the end of May. Not that I mind too much, and Jon usually has the van at work, so it isn't a big change. Took quite a bit though. My social security card got put away in some unfindable place during the move, so we went and applied for a new one of those (45 minutes), then we went to the DMV and that was a horrible mess. You stand in line to get to the information booth. There they ask what you are there for and check to see if you have all the documents you'll need. Then you get a number and sit and wait. When your number is called you go stand up along a way in order and wait for your turn at the counter. There really weren't all that many people in front of me when we got there, maybe 2 dozen or so. We sat and waited for 1 1/2 hours. Ugh! The people behind the counters were just chatting, chatting, chatting, taking their time and wandering around. I suppose I don't expect them to hurry hurry hurry all day, but it seemed a little disrespectful of the time all the people who were waiting had given up to be there. We took the boys in for a well-child doctor's visit the other day and it was the same thing. We were there for 2 hours. We waited in the waiting room for 25 minutes, then an additional 45 in the examination room. Yes, it was an hour and 10 minutes after our appointment before the doctor came to see us. I wasn't impressed. I understand being behind, but that was ridiculous. My doctor's office has been the same way, having to wait half an hour after your appointment before you get in, but I liked the doctor, so I decided I'd deal with it, and get early in the day appointments before they get behind. But I didn't like the boys' doctor or his staff, they weren't very friendly, so I think we'll find somewhere else.
Let's see, what else. We had the storm come through, but we are on the far side of town and didn't get that much rain and hardly any wind at all. It was just a rainstorm, and not even a major rainstorm at that. But it felt good to be prepared. Texas has had 2 storms hit it already this year, it would be really bad luck to get a third, but September is the busy season for hurricanes, so we'll see. I'll just be sure to keep adding to our first aid kit and preparedness stuff. I got a bunch of potato pearls from the Home Storage Center the other day, which is great. I like them better than potato flakes and they don't take milk to make them either. THey don't last as long, so they don't work for long term storage, but they'll be good just to make for dinners. They aren't quite as good as homemade, but close enough that I'll make them to avoid having to heat the house up while boiling potatoes!

We finally found a nice dresser for Becca's room. I had to look for a long time to find something close to what I wanted for what I wanted to pay. I wanted to get one of the 6 drawer low-boy style dressers, but I saw this on Craigslist and loved it. Plus it was only 40 dollars, which is a long way from the 100 or 120 I was just about reconciled to having to pay to get anything like what I wanted. But this is a lot nicer quality than I would have been able to get for that price. And it was from a nice clean house in a nice area, so I wasn't worried about inviting bugs to my house. The bugs make it nearly impossible to do alot of shopping at yard sales. You never know where those things are hiding. There are some things I definitely could live without, and bugs are one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment